Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join online?
- New members join online using the new membership application, located at http://www.naeyc.org/membership/apply.
How long does it take for a membership to become active?
- Members who join online or renew by phone are automatically activated. Members who mail their application should have their membership activated within 10 days of the receipt of payment.
How long is my membership good for?
- An NAEYC membership is good for one year from the time the application is processed. A member can opt to join/renew the membership for three years and be entitled to a 15% discount on the total amount of dues. Postage for international mail is not included in the discount.
What is the difference between an independent and an affiliate membership?
- An independent membership is membership at the national association only while an affiliate membership is membership at the local/chapter, state, region (if there is one), and the national associations.
- My center is accredited by NAEYC. Are all the staff of the center members of NAEYC?
- No. Membership to NAEYC is on an individual basis. NAEYC does not offer group or organizational membership.
As a Life member, why am I no longer a member of my Affiliate Group?
- Life memberships pertain only to the national membership portion. When Life members allow the Affiliate membership to lapse, their membership is automatically converted to Independent status so that they will continue to receive their NAEYC benefits. Use the “Add an Affiliation” to renew the affiliate membership.
What is a lapsed member?
- Members who do not renew within 90 days of their expiration date are considered a LAPSED member and are assigned a new expiration date when they renew. However, they retain their JOIN date if they renew within 3 years.
When do comprehensive member receive their book benefits?
- Comprehensive Members receive 6 books during their membership year. Benefits are typically mailed upon their publication. New Comprehensive members receive the current publication as their first book. The publication schedule varies throughout the year. Members can track the number of books mailed to them at “View Benefits Received” after logging into our Members Only area.
As a new member, when should I begin receiving benefits?
- Members can expect that their first journal will be mailed to them within one month of receipt of their payment. Young Children is published in January, March, May, July, September, and November. If your payment is received during a journal publication month, that issue will be your first journal. If your payment is received in other months, the next journal will be your first issue.
What is NAEYC’s refund policy?
- No refunds are provided on national membership dues after 90 days of the start of the membership year. NAEYC does not refund payments for affiliate memberships as these payments are collected as a service to the affiliated group.
What is NAEYC’s cancellation policy?
- Cancelled memberships may be subject to a processing fee. Contact NAEYC Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
How do I make sure that my journal was mailed?
- You can check the benefits you should have received by logging into our Members Only area. First check your mailing address to make sure it is correct. Then check “View Benefits Received” to see the dates that mailing labels were generated for the membership benefits. Remember to allow 3-4 weeks from this date for mailing. If you did not receive a benefit listed within this time frame, contact NAEYC Member Services.
I’m a Comprehensive member; how do I make sure that my books were mailed?
- Check the benefits you should have received by logging into our Members Only area. First check your mailing address to make sure it is correct. Then check “View Benefits Received” to see the dates that mailing labels were generated for the book. Remember to allow 3-4 weeks from this date for mailing. If you did not receive a benefit listed within this time frame, contact NAEYC Member Services.
What does it mean to upgrade your membership?
- Upgrading your membership involves a change in membership level (Regular to Comprehensive membership level or Student to Regular) Your expiration date does not change, and back benefits will be sent to you.
What does it mean to add an additional Affiliate Group?
- If you “add an affiliation” during your membership year, you are responsible for paying the local, state, and regional dues if you have not already paid them (i.e. a member who joins 2 affiliate groups in the same state has already paid for the state and regional membership, so they are only responsible for paying the additional local dues). Your expiration date remains unchanged and your membership dues in the new affiliate are not prorated. You will appear on the affiliates membership list immediately.
I’ve moved; how do I change my Affiliate Group?
- Please be sure to update your mailing address by logging into our Members Only area. Because dues vary from one affiliate group to another, affiliations do not change automatically when a member moves. Members may “Add an Affiliation” during their membership year to join the group in their new area. NAEYC does not process refunds for affiliate memberships.
How do I join an Affiliate Group?
- New members are encouraged to join NAEYC through the early childhood organization affiliated with NAEYC in their community or state. Current Independent members who did not join through an affiliate may “Add an Affiliation” at any time in their membership year to become an Affiliate member. Independent members who add an affiliation in the first three months (90 days) of their membership year receive up to a $25 discount in national dues that is automatically applied toward the cost of local, state and regional dues.
How do I find the dues to my local affiliate online?
- The affiliate dues may be retrieved at www.naeyc.org. Click on Join NAEYC/Membership Options and by selecting your state under Affiliate Group Information.
How can I get proof of my NAEYC membership?
- Log into our Members Only area. The first page lists your current membership status.
What is my password for the Members Only section of the NAEYC website?
- You may request to have an email sent to the email address on your membership record with your password. Or, contact NAEYC Member Services for assistance.
Where do I locate my membership ID number?
- The NAEYC membership ID number appears on the NAEYC membership card, mailed the first month of the membership year. It also appears just above the name on the mailing label of the Young Children journal. If neither of these are available, members may request to have it sent to the email in their membership record.
How do I update my mailing address?
- Update your mailing address by logging into our Members Only area. Click on “Change Your Information” in the left column to update mailing address or to change other personal information (phone number, email, areas of interest, etc.) on your membership account.
How can I get proof of my NAEYC membership payment?
- Log into our Members Only area. Click on View Account History, then click on receipt for a printable receipt of your payment.